Travel Blogger in Romania | Episode #8: Brenna – This Battered Suitcase
Our guest for this week is Brenna from This Battered Suitcase. Just as Dalene and Pete, the travelers we had last week, Brenna is coming from a land far away – Canada. All she ever wanted to do is travel and today we’ll find out why she visited Romania, a few travel tips, and some other interesting facts.
1. How long have you been traveling for?
I have been traveling and living abroad for nearly ten years.
2. Are you a backpacker/long-term traveler/business traveler or do you live and work abroad?
At the moment, I live in London but take monthly trips. I used to be a long-term traveler and backpacker.
3. How many countries have you been to?
I have been to 87 countries.
4. Quickfire questions:
Favorite season? Autumn.
Beach or mountain? Beach.
Urban or rural? Urban.
Next destination on your list? I am currently on my way to Bhutan, and this year I plan to re-visit Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, the Netherlands, and Belgium.
5. How did Romania find its way on your list of destinations?
I visited in 2008, and at that time I had traveled through many European countries but never Romania. I didn’t know very much about the country and I wanted to go somewhere new.
6. Expectations vs. reality in Romania
Because I didn’t know much about Romania, I didn’t have any expectations. In reality, when I visited, I really fell for the countryside. The towns I visited, especially Brasov, were absolutely beautiful and filled with things to do.
7. How was your experience with the traditional Romanian food?
I really enjoyed it! I always try to eat as locally as possible so I tried as many new dishes as I could.
8. How did the Romanian people seem to you?
Everyone I encountered was extremely helpful and friendly, even if there was a language barrier.
9. Regarding this, did you make any friends in Romania? Do you keep in touch with anybody from Romania?
Unfortunately, I don’t keep in touch with anyone I met in Romania. As it was in 2008, we’ve since lost communication!
10. Did you convince anyone to travel to Romania?
I often tell people that they should visit Romania. I really think it’s an up-and-coming tourist destination in Europe. The countryside, in particular, was so beautiful, and the history is fascinating.
11. What is your least pleasant experience in Romania?
I made a mistake going from Sibiu to Brasov and accidentally got on the local train – it took a lot longer than I expected!
12. Could you ever live in Romania?
I’m not sure… I wouldn’t rule it out!
13. Do you have any pieces of advice or tips for aspiring travelers?
I imagine hiring a car in Romania would be an incredible experience – that’s what I’d like to do whenever I return.